This paint skin was made by a friend. It is pouring medium and acrylic paint dripped together on cellophane wrap and then tilted around to form the pattern. I glued the skin to heavy card stock.
The first part of the Lotus Blossom stencil is the main outline and I used it to find the portion of the skin I wanted to use for the flower. I used the four holes in the stencil to mark position.
Then I lined the stencil up on the reverse side according to the four holes.
I cut a notch out of the stencil outline and laid down the second part of the stencil.
Using a dauber, I completely covered the stencil with dark blue StazOn ink.
Be careful not to move the stencil once you begin and be sure to cover the open areas entirely.
I cut out the image using the stencil as a guideline.
I filled in the edges with the blue ink so that it went out to the edges and colored in the cut line.
I began my sunset with the yellows since they are the lightest colors. I colored in an arch and then sprayed it with water and used my fingers to smooth and blend the two colors.
Using various blues and aquas I finished coloring in the water and sky.
I spray misted the blues and used my fingers to spread and blend the Gelatos.
Once the background was blended I sprayed the entire canvas board with a matte finish to prevent the Gelatos from blending further. I let it dry overnight.
Dragonfly stamped with matte black acrylic paint after the lotus blossom was glued in place.
Using the same black paint and a very fine detail paintbrush, just the dragonfly's body was darkened.
This dragonfly trio was stamped with matte black acrylic paint.
Because these appear in the distance I wanted them to be mere shadows. Using the detailed paint brush, I colored them in completely. I sprayed the piece again with matte finishing spray.
I made a background mimicking the canvas board out of heavy card stock so that it would appear that the largest dragonfly's wings are see-through.
The words were lined up on an acrylic block with a grid to ensure they were straight, then they were stamped with matte white acrylic paint.
The largest dragonfly was stamped with permanent black ink and cut out. His body is glued to the canvas and his wings are held out with foam adhesive dots.
Finished canvas board. Now to add a ribbon to the back and then it will be ready to hang.
This project is featured on the Altered Pages Artsociates blog on Friday, April 24, 2015. alteredpages-artsociates.blog…
You can also see this project and many others on my own blog, Robin's Birdhouse. Come on by and say hello! www.robinsbirdhouse.blogspot.…