Interested in making your BFF something for the holidays, but worried about the journey + cost to get it there? Here to help is our handy DIY gift guide, full of gifts that are easy to make AND ship.
CROSS-COUNTRY: Small, flat, and lightweight objects are the name of the game for long distance gifting because they’ll cost much less to ship!
1. DIY Easy Knit Circle Scarf - This light fluffy scarf is (surprisingly) a cinch to make compared to normal knitting and will be her go-to accessory all winter long. go.brit.co/2e9R2jS
2. DIY Faux Fur Vest - Omg you guys. This is the easiest DIY ever. You can make a trendy statement piece with literally some faux fur and a pair of scissors. go.brit.co/2fzbD1q
3. DIY Gold Foil Notebook - Gold makes EVERYTHING fancy. Draw little doodles of your bestie’s favorite things or letter an inside joke to make it really special. bit.ly/2fzeSpB
4. DIY Shoulder Duster Earrings - You likely know her style better than anyone else, so don’t be afraid to pick up the pliers and make a set of custom earrings for her. go.brit.co/2fzajf7
All four of these fluffy, flat and teeny gifts easily lend themselves to long distance because they are light enough to keep your costs low, while still making a nice personal statement.
Shipping Tip: Keep rain, snow + other elements out of your box during the journey, by sealing all the flaps and seams using proper packing tape (no duct or masking tape) that is at least 2" wide.
A FEW STATES OVER: For mid-range distances, say a few states over, you can start to push the boundaries a bit with slightly larger or heavier objects.
5. DIY Painted Brushstroke Purse - This little cross-body bag is equally good for winter and spring outfits and all you need is a lick of paint to make it happen! go.brit.co/2fzcGym
6. DIY Sequin Mermaid Pillow - This sequin pillow is the business. The key is finding a two-way sequin fabric and then the rest is easily done in minutes. go.brit.co/2fzeXdb
7. DIY Agate Slice Coasters - These little slices of gemstone heaven are uber classy for the 10 minutes it will take you to make them! go.brit.co/2fzd0gA
Shipping Tip: If your item is fragile, prep it before throwing it in the box. If your item is an irregular shape, use bubble wrap to “square off” any odd angles to protect them during shipment.
IN-STATE GIFTS: Save your heaviest gifts for your girl in the same state. This is where a lot of the DIY homewares come in so get excited and read on for tutorial links!
8. DIY Paint Pen "Chalkboard" Mug - Get the look of chalkboard without actually smudging your beautiful design every time you pick up your drink! go.brit.co/2fzcJdB
9. DIY Air Dry Clay Planter - Create any shape you want with air dry clay and add a pop of her favorite color. Finish with an air plant and send it on it’s way! go.brit.co/2fzhVOH
10. DIY Dip Dyed Rope Bowls - These dreamy dip dyed bowls are like a summer vacation, and I want to go to there. Make your own with rope, fabric dye and a glue gun! go.brit.co/2fzgjVe
11. DIY Wood Burnt Pineapple Cutting Board - Turn any wood homeware item into a personalized piece of functional art with a wood burning tool! go.brit.co/2fzg2kZ
These last few gifts may take a bit more wrapping work, but it’ll all be worth it when they get to their new home!
Shipping Tip: Don’t be afraid to use two boxes to ship a breakable item! Place a box within a larger box with more cushioning. That’s a lot of padding, but better to be safe than sorry!