1. Check your fluids! Including: Engine Oil, Coolant, Transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and windshield washer fluid.
2. Check belts, hoses, and wipers. V belts, serpentine belts, coolant hoses, windshield washer hoses, vacuum hoses, and possibly your timing belt if your car is due. Replace the wipers if needed.
3. Check your tires, and wires!! Inflate your tires to your cars recommended pressure. Make sure you have plenty of tread and no unusual wear on the tire. Check the spark plug wires for wear.
4. Check your Electrics! Including: Daytime/bright lights, horns, turn signals, reverse light, and brake light. Don't forget to check your dash lights and interior lighting.
5. Check your battery and air filter. Make sure the battery terminals are free from corrosion, and the cables are tight and snug to the battery. Replace your air filter for better gas mileage.
6. Have a spare tire and emergency kit. Make sure the spare tire is full of air, and the emergency kit has all the tools you might need for roadside repairs, especially jumper cables, and a jack.
7. Here is a list of tips not related to a car checklist. Gps, Atlas/map, cellphone, phone charger, insurance/registration, flashlight, first aid kit, cooler, books, music and the wide open road!