Start the Guide
How to Make Pizza Dough Based on Sourdough
This is just my personal variation on Shaun Pies great Snapguide on a 'Pizza from Scratch' - mainly changed by using sourdough and a bit less flour. No rolling pin needed - if you do it's not correct.
The really great thing about this recipe is that you can store the dough for a week ready to bake off at any time. Always fresh bread!
I used Swedish Rågsikt which is just a mix of 60% wheat flour and remaining part (40%) sifted fine rye flour. If you prefer, you can just as well use only ordinary wheat flour.
The sourdough starter based on wheat flour. You can look at my description on how to make one in a separate guide. Try changing rye flour for a mix of wheat flour and some sifted fine rye flour.
The water is mixed with 30 grams of the sourdough starter.
Add half of the flour on the first day to get a sourdough leavener going.
This is the initial mix of Day 1 to create a sourdough leavener for the dough.
And this is how it looks the next day in the morning. The leaven looks ready, nice and bubbly without the help of industrial yeast. You don't need a mixer actually, just mix it with a spoon.
Add the rest of the flour and let it rest for 30 minutes before adding salt. In total you have 500g water and 700g flour making the baker's percentage 500/700~70% (71.4% for you perfectionists).
Stretch and fold the rather wet dough a few times to get a better texture. Remember to wet your hands in advance to keep it from sticking to your fingers.
Let the dough rest and rise for two hours under some cover, either a damp towel, a plastic lidded container or some plastic wrap as shown here (just to keep its surface from drying out).
Cut into four equal quadrants. Next step is to "ball" the dough into nice round pizza pieces.
Sprinkle some flour onto dough and turn them into nice round balls by tightening the dough closing off below. You will see that I tuck in the edges.
Put the "balled" dough pieces in four suitable containers.
Put the lids on and place in refrigerator or some cooler room such as a pantry or down in the basement. They will rise nicely and can be used for pizzas or dinner rolls whenever you like this week.
2 hours: See how it's rising, the bubbles growing from sourdough leavener.
After 7 hours; it's alive! Now this is why you will need 1 litre sized containers or else the covers will pop off from the sourdough gasses. Ready to make a pizza.
Make a tomato sauce with canned tomatoes, some olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper to taste.
Turn the oven on full blast, preferably with a stone to place the pie on.
You prepare the pie by simply stretching the dough (from one of the for containers). As it is of perfect texture it will basically fall into shape and as thin so that you can almost see through it.
I suggest you stretch the dough directly on top of a baking paper, then do the topping before pulling it onto a cutting board. When the oven is hot you can then slide the pie with the paper into oven.
This to explain the concept of how to slip a pizza onto a very hot stone in the oven. Baking paper and a good sized cutting board will help.
Grate some cheese that you like.
This one has tomato sauce, pepperoni, cheese, garlic, tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella. Note the baking paper under the pie ready to slide onto a cutting board.
Yepp, the crust is nice also below.
Just to complete the guide; some dinner rolls made out of one of those dough quarters.
Don't forget to sprinkle some salad or basil onto the pizza for perfection.
Check out other guides by this author!